Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Disco is dead

It has been a long time since my last American Idol recap. Thankfully, in that time, we finally got rid of Sanjaya as well as some other less than stellar contestants. However, one thing that remains is the lame theme week. What makes the producers think that anyone wants to hear disco songs in 2007? The final four-Melinda, Blake, LaKisha, and Jordin-sang from the songbook of Barry Gibb this evening. Now while I must admit that I am a fan of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack as well as a few other selected Bee Gees tunes, tonight's song choices (and performances for the most part) were peculiar to say the least. I thought that Blake was horrible, and his once cool beatboxing has become annoying. My personal fave, LaKisha, was lambasted by the judges, even though I have to give her credit for at least singing a song we have all heard before ("Staying Alive"). Jordin did a great job on her first song, but I agree with Simon that her second performance was like something out of the Miss Teen U.S.A. pageant. Even Melinda was off her game tonight. What a disappointment. Hopefully next week will be better and LaKisha will somehow survive.

No comments: